Got questions? Well, the Jog-a-Thon team has answers for you... right here. Read below for answers to the most common questions.
Tell me again. Why are we doing this in the fall?
From now on, BSE’s Jog-A-Thon will be a fall event. This allows the Bridge the Gap campaign (scheduled for May 2017) to target the specific number left to balance the yearly budget. If Jog-A-Thon & Auction bring in enough funds, Bridge the Gap will not be needed.
What events are made possible with the money raised? WHERE DOES THE MONEY GO?
All generated Jog-A-Thon funds are used in BSCO’s yearly operating budget. This year, BSCO is budgeted to spend $111,425 on student enrichment, teacher support, community events, community giving, technology and administrative costs.
To make it more tangible, here are just SOME examples of what your Jog-A-Thon dollars provide:
- All of our teacher support, which includes $450 per classroom teacher to bulk up their classroom with books, materials, supplies etc.
- Teacher grants, including the THPRD Nature Mobile for kindergarten, the sweet little chicks for 1st grade & the Newbery Book Club for 5th grade
- Supplies & snacks for three class parties for every classroom per year
- All Art Lit supplies for every student for six Art Lit lessons
- BSE Garden supplies and maintenance
- Annual donation to BSD Clothes Closet
- Artist in Residence, Author Visit, Science Fair, Field Day
- Technology, including this year’s purchase of 30 chromebooks & 15 iPads
- Popsicles at the Back to School Picnic, coffee & pastries at the Welcome Coffee
- Catered lunch for teachers/staff during conferences
- Two science presentations per classroom from outside vendors such as OMSI & Mad Science
- Gas and transportation costs for all field trips
- Three FREE parent education nights, each with an expert presentation on relevant parenting topics
- Passports & prizes for Geo Club, charms & supplies for Bobcat Trail Club, pizza & books for OBOB
- An expert staff development presentation for BSE’s entire staff
- $7500 in PYP support, including books & hands-on materials for each classroom
Please visit BSCO's business web page for exact budget numbers.
How does the actual Jog-A-Thon work?
On the day of the event, each class will run, jog, or walk for 20 minutes during a specified time period on our field. There are approximately six laps per mile. Each participant will be issued a bib that will be marked each time the student reaches the starting point, keeping track of the number of laps completed. Each classroom will be given a designated color to wear to help track students and generate class spirit.
Upon completion of the Jog-A-Thon, students will take home their lap bibs as a record of how many laps they completed. Students may then collect outstanding pledges & return their envelopes to the school.
What if it rains? Or is crazy hot?
Rain or Shine, baby! This event will take place regardless of the weather. Participants are encouraged to wear hats and sunscreen if it’s sunny or bring rain gear if it’s rainy.
When do envelopes need to be returned?
All envelopes need to be turned in by Wednesday, October 19th to be eligible for prizes.
Do matching funds count toward prizes?
Matching Funds are an invaluable resource to help maximize your contribution and maintain the enriching programs of BSCO; however, they do not count toward overall dollar amounts for individual prize awards.