Wednesday October 7, 2015
International Walk to School Day
Come walk rain or shine!!!
Meet at 7:45-7:50am at this location for each of these routes
West Route (map) - NW Bauer Woods, Lorraine & Woodrose
• Route lead Cheryl Wardell
North Route (map) - NW West Rd & NW Talon Terrace
• Route lead Laura Lorenz, Kathleen Lee
• Green Team Students Ava Lorenz, Olivia Lee
Northeast Route (map) - Bonny Slope Park on NW Thompson Rd
• Route lead Jenny Pompilio, Sierra Lavelle
• Green Team Student Grace Lavelle
East Route (map) - NW Harding & NW Robinia
• Route lead Caroline Peters
Walk @7:55 am!
Meet at 8-8:08am at this location for this route
South Route (map) - NW Coleman & NW 119th
• Route lead Brenda Swanson
Walk @8:10 am!
Let’s Arrive at 8:15 am at Bonny Slope Track (or under covered playground for rain)
If you live too close to join a formal route, you are still welcome to join the fun at the track! Students can pick a raffle ticket, a small prize and apple. Bring water bottles w/you.
Let’s Raffle! Mrs. Maza will announce raffle winners at 8:25 am, so stay out on the track to see if you win so you can claim your prize!
If you have questions please email BEST lead Jenny Pompilio or call/text (503) 307-5544.
Important Safety Information for Walkers
Walk to School is NOT a drop-off event. You must walk with your child, or make arrangements for a responsible adult to be in charge of them. The only exception is older students who normally walk to school without supervision can do so. BEST chaperones help lead the routes, but are not responsible for individual students.
Be smart and alert. Avoid dangerous behaviors!
• Don't cross any street unless your parents have given you permission to do so.
• Always walk on the sidewalk or approved trails. If you must walk on the street because there are no sidewalks, stay on the outside shoulder and face traffic.
• Don't assume cars will stop for you. Make eye contact with the driver; don't just look at the car. If a driver is distracted, they may not be paying attention!
• Don't rely solely on pedestrian signals. Look twice before crossing a road.
• Be alert to engine noise or backup lights on cars when in parking lots, near on-street parking spaces, and when sidewalks cross driveways.
Be safe and be seen. Make yourself visible to drivers!
• Wear bright or light colored clothing and reflective materials.
• Stand clear of buses, hedges, parked cars or other obstacles before crossing so drivers can see you.
Be careful at crossings. Look before you step, corners demand more attention!
• Cross streets only at marked crosswalks or intersections, if possible.
• Obey traffic signals such as WALK/DON’T WALK signs.
• Look left, right, and left again before crossing a street, even if it has a signal.
• Watch for turning vehicles. Make sure that the driver sees you and will stop.
• Look across all lanes you must cross and visually clear each lane before proceeding. Just because one motorist stops, do not presume drivers in other lanes see you and will stop for you.
• Don't wear headphones or talk on cell phones while walking, especially when crossing a street.
• Follow the directions of the crossing guard when you arrive at school crosswalks!
The Washington County Sheriff's Dpt has been asked to provide crosswalk assistance for the East route at NW Harding & McDaniel Rd. Practice care at any street crossing and stay on sidewalks!!!