Head’s up, BSE. Your BSCO Board will undergo a large transition in the upcoming school year. Five leadership positions need to be filled on the 2017-18 BSCO Board.
Every position is up for re-election, but the five confirmed openings are:
- Vice President
- Director of Communications
While board members are encouraged to serve two years in a position, all positions are elected on an annual basis. Due to our bylaw restriction, no member can serve more than two consecutive years in an office. Please review this pdf for the lowdown on each position.
If you are interested in the long-term vision and general attitude, atmosphere and culture of our parent organization, serving on BSCO’s Board allows for an incredible amount of input. Specifically, serving on the Board allows you to:
- Approve/deny all teacher grants
- Approve/deny budget requests under $1000
- Direct input into writing BSCO’s annual budget
- Direct input into special projects that exceed the annual budget
- Direct input into scheduling BSCO’s Dates to Remember
- Contribution to the overall goals of the Board-- such as this year’s goals of budget awareness, communication and levity
The time commitment varies between positions, but the minimum requirements are:
- Monthly Board meetings (averaging about 1.5 hour/each)
- Three community meetings (Sept/Jan/May)
- Setting-up/cleaning-up at one Parent Education night per year
All five positions can be done by a working parent. The bulk of all the positions (aside from the meetings) takes place online or via email. Additionally, all five current members rolling off this Board will still be parents at BSE next year, allowing for an ease of transition where new members can have veteran support to answer questions.
If you are interested in serving on the Board, please complete the online BSCO Board Application Form no later than Friday, April 7, 2017. If you have any questions, please email Hannah Donohue, BSCO President, or this year’s BSCO Parliamentarian, Doug Bergmann.