This year’s Art Lit Leadership team is ready to dive into another exciting year. Art Literacy is an art education program sponsored by the Beaverton School District, funded by BSCO and run by parent volunteers. Every year, we teach six art lessons to each classroom.
Each lesson focuses on a specific historical artist; we review his or her biography, look at examples of their art, and then lead a hands-on art project that is inspired by the featured artist. This year’s artists include Frederic Remington, Salvador Dali, Peter Bruegel, Barbara Hepworth, Katsushika Hokusai, and the NW Coastal Tribes.
Parent volunteers can either attend a hands-on training and lead the lesson, or simply assist students with the project on the day of the lesson. Either is a gratifying, fun-filled experience that allows parents to interact with their child’s classroom and requires no previous art experience.
Interested in exploring art with your child? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to be sure you are included in this year’s Art Lit database.
Read below for more pertinent info on this valuable program here at Bonny Slope.
- Attend six fun, hands-on training sessions to learn how to teach the lessons
- Schedule six lessons with the Art Lit team and your student’s teacher
- Coordinate classroom volunteers to assist with lesson production
- Teach/help with six Art Lit lessons
WHAT YOU’LL TAKE FROM THE EXPERIENCE
- Quality time with students, teachers and parents in your child’s classroom
- Explore your own artistic side
- Make new friends at all grade levels that believe Art is an important part of academic growth
- Enjoy the satisfaction of enabling students to think creatively, problem solve and develop mental images.
WHAT OUR ART LIT LEADERSHIP TEAM DOES FOR YOU
- Provides all 6 lesson plans and hands-on training
- Manages the school Art Literature lesson schedule
- Creates school bulletin boards to display student art
- Stocks the Art Lit cart with all the supplies, lesson plans and tools for your success
2016-17 TRAINING DATES
October 4th Library at 6:30 PM
October 5th Office Conference Room 9:00 AM to 10:00 AM
Pieter Bruegel the Elder
November 15th Library at 6:30 PM
November 16th Office Conference Room 9:00 AM to 10:00 AM
January 10th Library at 6:30 PM
January 11th Office Conference Room 9:00 AM to 10:00 AM
February 21st Library at 6:30 PM
February 22nd Office Conference Room 9:00 AM to 10:00 AM
April 4th Library at 6:30 PM
April 5th Office Conference Room 9:00 AM to 10:00 AM
NW Coastal Tribes
May 9th Library at 6:30 PM
May 10th Office Conference Room 9:00 AM to 10:00 AM