That was one of the quietest spring Community meetings we've ever had! Apparently, the Community was happy with the budget and Board slate as there was little discussion or contention about the decisions for 2016-17. Both the new budget and Board passed with flying colors. Congrats to Holly VanderPloeg, Jenna Dornblaser and DeDe Osborne on their new Board positions!
A few highlights:
- The Board decided to use some of its excess savings. Next year we will be installing a projector in the gym, will pay for IXL and new inquiry-based recess equipment, and BSCO events Monster Mash and Carnival will be free. This will use about $35,000, leaving us with roughly $115,000, if all fundraising goes as planned. The current Board set a minimum savings goal of $75,000.
- Auction did very well again this year, netting (revenue after expenses) close to $75,000, or 50% above budget. This means we won't need a third fundraiser this year and Bridge the Gap is cancelled.
- Hannah Donohue, BSCO President, walked us through current teacher grants and discussed those grants that have moved to the mature line item, those that happen every year and are automatically accounted for in the budget.
- Next school year Bonny Slope Elementary will be at the school-desired technology level, between computers bought by BSCO and those from the District. We are excited that 4th and 5th grade will have one student per computer, 2nd and 3rd grade will have 2 students per computer, and Kindergarten and 1st grade will have 4 students per computer.
- Volunteers are needed for next year. While there are a number openings (Bobcat Trail Club, Book Fair, BEST, Box Tops, Matching Funds and Talent Show), Jog-a-Thon is the most critical. Jog-a-Thon is one of our two major fundraisers and without it, many of the existing BSCO programs will not exist. Please contact Jessica or Yolanda if you are interested in making Bonny Slope Elementary go!