Tis the season to make a difference. On the heels of #GivingTuesday, we have a variety of outreach opportunities through which you and your child can make a difference in the Bonny Slope Community.
Remember, anyone making an attempt to better society is a philanthropist! And donations of time and skills are gifts as well. Collection receptacles for all drives listed below are located at Bonny Slope Elementary (BSE). We appreciate whatever you’re able to contribute. Thank you for making a difference this holiday season.
Summary of Opportunities
Clothing, Food and Gift Card Drives
- Winter Clothing Collection for homeless youth ages 15-23. Deadline Tuesday Dec. 15.
- Non-Perishable Food Drive by Boy Scout Pack #205. Deadline Friday, Dec. 4.
- Gift Card Drive by BSE Staff benefitting 15 BSE Families. Deadline Monday, Dec. 14.
- Barbie Doll Drive by Nevaeh DeWitt (4th Grade BSE Student) benefitting Doernbecher Children’s Hospital. Deadline Friday, Dec. 4.
- Toy Drive by Girl Scout Troop #40298 benefitting Doernbecher Children’s Hospital. Deadline Friday, Dec. 11.
- Nutrition Services is looking for volunteers for the Fork it Over Program.
- Help bake/assemble/deliver Cookie Boxes for Teachers.
Winter Clothing Collection
The goal of the Winter Clothing Drive – in partnership with Janus Youth Programs - is to help homeless youth ages 15-23 during the winter season. Donations of warm socks, gloves, hats, toothpaste and toothbrushes are most appreciated. The bins for this drive are located under the stairs for 3rd-5th grade. Please remember that every little donation counts! Donations will be accepted through Tuesday, December 14.
Please consider helping Bonny Slope's Pack 205 scouts collect non-perishable food to help restock the neighborhood food pantry. This is our first year to participate and we need your help! Items in need are:
- Non-perishable food items
- Canned protein (tuna, salmon, chicken, peanut butter)
- Soups & stews (beef stew, chili, meat-based soups)
- 100% fruit juices (all sizes)
- Grains (pasta, whole grain pasta, rice, brown rice, boxed macaroni & cheese)
- Cereals (multi grain, low sugar such as cheerios, cornflakes, raisin bran, grape nuts, oatmeal)
- Canned vegetables
- Canned fruits
Collection barrels will be located near (or in) the office and under the stairs through Dec. 4th. Thank you for your support and assistance!
Gift Card Drive
We will be supporting 15 Bonny Slope families by collecting and distributing gift cards to assist them over the holidays. If you’d like to contribute, please bring gift cards to the office by Monday, December 14th. Below is a list of gift cards that we feel would be especially helpful. Of course, any cards are appreciated.
- Fred Meyer
- Gas Station
- Trimet Passes
Thank you in advance for your generosity this holiday season!
Nevaeh DeWitt is a 4th grader at BSE. She and her father were born with a disease that affects their kidneys (Alport Syndrome). She visits Doernbecher's often and wants to share Barbie Dolls with other patients.
“I want to donate Barbies because it was the first toy I remember getting when I had to get my blood drawn,” she said. “It made me happy and distracted me from the scary needles.”
Nevaeh appreciates the great care she’s been given at Doernbecher's and looks forward to spreading joy through donations this holiday season.
Girl Scout troop #40298 is organizing a toy drive benefitting Doernbecher’s Children’s Hospital. You can drop donations in the office through December 13th.
Fork it Over
Nutrition Services is looking for volunteers for the Fork it Over Program to pick up donations and drop off at local pantries. If you interested in be helping with this program please email ForkItOverBSD@gmail.com.
“Fork it Over!” is a Metro food donation program that seeks to reduce hunger and waste in the Portland Metro Region, by coordinating organizations that have food to donate to food rescue agencies, like the Sunshine Pantry, The Pantry at Rock Creek, and the Holy Trinity Food Closet here in Beaverton. The Beaverton School District has joined the many area businesses that have committed to reducing waste and fighting hunger by donating leftover food from school kitchens.
We will be gathering together on Wednesday, December 16 from 12-2 pm in the Bonny Slope volunteer room to fold, fill, and deliver Cookie Boxes for the BSE staff. Please sign up at Sign-up Genius if you are able to help out with filling the boxes or making cookies. Thank you for all your help!